Sunday, July 29, 2007

Turkey Meatloaf

I've decided to start eating a lot healthier. I've done a great job keeping calories low in the past several months, but I'm still not eating right. The staple of my diet is Lean Cuisine pizza. Sure, it's only 350 calories or so, but it's ridiculously high in sodium. It's also pretty much void of any significant nutritional value. ...and this is one of my better meals. You don't wanna know what I can do with Spaghettios and a packet of cheese from a box of Mac and Cheese.

So this weekend I bought a crockpot and around $200 in groceries. I've actually got fresh vegetables and spices, milk and butter...things I have to actually cut and mix and stir and cook before I can eat.

I sorted through 5 or 6 recipes of things I want to cook in the next week or two. These are all meals that are easy to prepare, very low in sodium, low in fat and high in protein and/or carbs. Then I bought all of the ingredients so that I'll have 'em on hand. So now I have absolutely no more excuses.

Today I made turkey meatloaf. It was fun and delicious. I feel pretty damned accomplished. It took half an hour to make (and around 8 hours to cook), but now I've got food for another 3-4 meals. Click here for the recipe, in case anybody wants to try it. Later this week I'll be making vegetarian chili.

2 comments:

touchiefeelie said...

I love that you are cooking..... If you still want to do a cook along, I would totally do so... most things I make are fundementally basic, I just add my own flair to them......

Turkey is a huge staple in my diet, and I make awesome spicy turkey burgers... you could make a batch, and them freeze them individually and cook them in your little G Foreman grilly thing.

The burgers are terrific, lots of flavor and easy as pie to make and cook up.

Valagators spicy turkey burgers

1 1/3 pounds ground turkey breast, the average weight of 1 package
3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1 large shallot or 1/2 red onion, finely chopped
2 tablespoons of cumin
2 tablespoons of any herb you choose, basil, tyme, oregano etc..
2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro leaves, optional – parsley may be substituted
Fresh cracked pepper I use about 4 grinds ( 1 tablespoon)
pinch of salt
1/2 small bell pepper, red or yellow, seeded and finely chopped
1 serrano or jalapeno pepper, seeded and finely chopped or I use canned jalepenos...
1 to 2 teaspoons cayenne hot sauce, several drops (recommended: Tabasco)
your favorite oil spray
Optional: sliced pepper jack cheese, sautted mushrooms...
4 crusty kaiser rolls, split or your fav bun

Red leaf lettuce

Chop your garlic and veggies.
Spray your pan with oil spray, and suate up the onions and shallots.. set aside.
combine turkey meat, garlic, shallot or onion, thyme, cilantro or parsley, bell pepper, serrano or jalapeno pepper, cumin, hot pepper sauce, or salt and pepper.
Divide mixture into equal mounds then form meat into patties. . sparingly spray oil inot pan and Cook in skillet over medium high heat for 5 to 6 minutes on each side.

Place sliced cheese over the patties in the last 2 minutes of cooking, use 1 or 2 slices for each patty, if you like.

Pile cooked cheeseburgers into buns. Serve with your favorite veggies, and enjoy.

MyFave said...

Is that a picture of your actual meatloaf? Cause I think I see turnip and I think you like that too....I know I do!